Do I want a trip that focuses on Britain’s “greatest hits” and must-see sights?
We always recommend starting your first full day on vacation with a city tour to give you the lay of the land. Having a Local Guide show you the highlights and provide some tips on what to see and where to go is a great help, whether it’s your first or fifth trip to that destination.
No matter who or how well traveled you are, seeing the main sights in each city is a “must.” Here are a few standout sights that make the destination unique and present great photo ops.
London is a vibrant city filled with thousands of years of history, fascinating museums, beautiful parks, magnificent churches, amazing shopping, exciting nightlife, and sumptuous international cuisine. London has an efficient public transportation system with subways— known as the Tube—and buses, making it easy to travel.
• Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament
• Westminster Abbey – The sight of royal weddings and coronations.
• Buckingham Palace – Visit the official London residence of Britain’s monarchs since 1837.
• St. Paul’s Cathedral – Designed by Sir Christopher Wren and built 300 years ago.
• Tower of London – This amazingly preserved landmark is full of history and houses the Crown Jewels.
• London Eye – An enormous Ferris wheel on the banks of the Thames River that gives amazing views of the city.
• British Museum – This museum houses a collection of art and antiquities from prehistoric to modern times.
You can research, book, and pay for these tours and other excursions in advance of your trip. That way, you’ll wake up on your first morning knowing exactly what you are doing, without having to waste your time looking at maps and asking for directions. City tours are included on escorted tours and independent travel packages such as Monograms. Activities and excursions are generally extra, but will give you a well-rounded experience (stick with us−we’ll help you book the “extras” you want and lots more)!